This blog was created in response to an excursion to the Cronulla Sewage Treatment Plant, as a continuation of the initial ideas sparked from the visit, through research and exploration of sewage.
I’m fascinated by sewage for a few reasons:
- The language and words associated with the sewer and its effluent are funny
- The deep history of place
- To understand how things work, specifically the sewerage system infrastructure, we live in a world where children born now will not remember a time before the internet , they won’t experience dial up or mixed tapes
- Conceptual, research and in this particular case maintenance art
- The idea of distinct, discrete relations between what is considered within culture and accepted and what should not be named
Rather than limit the scope of my project to a fixed, secure site Cronulla Sewerage Treatment Plant, I have incorporated the entire infrastructure of the city of Sydney’s sewerage system. All drains converge and the effluent flows through the pipes all over our city (or more accurately under it).